Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Time Assignment

I think I'm a schedule-type person.... Actually, I am a schedule-type person. I've always wanted to claim 'Spontaneous! I'm Spontaneous' thinking surely spontaneous people are way cooler and have tons more fun. But, I bet Benjamin Franklin preferred schedules and I know Bill Gates has too. These people are way cool. And, I'm ready to own up to my need for a schedule.

I am in the process of a major overhaul to the way I spend my time. I'm setting up a schedule in excel (just like I used to keep on the fridge for roomies during college years) and getting the time in my days in order.

Why? Because at the end of the day, I'm exhausted, and haven't got to nearly half the things I had expected to and zero of the things I wanted. Now, I don't think this is because I necessarily dawdle or waste my time. I think it's because I'm trying to pack to much in and/or under estimating the amount of time it takes to do things, here especially. And instead of cramming left over essential business into my evening hours I want to reserve that time for relaxing things I enjoy and for guilt-free walks with husband. I want to be 'off-duty' at 6pm.

The undertaking of this time tracking feat comes because for one solid week I have meant to post that I HAVE A JOB and a million other short stories that are going on with us here. But seriously have not had a moment to do so before collapsing in bed each night.

Of course the main culprit responsible for occupying my time now is my job. However, this obvious transition time has been complicated by the fact that we've been a little under the weather, traveling, and every major appliance that could break has. Not really, just the fridge, but it might as well be everything. If you don't believe me, please reference the number of food related articles on my blog...so far.

So for the rest of this week: I'm tracking my time, prioritizing, and scheduling weekly tasks to specific time slots.

This may seem a little control freakish and impractical...but I'm citing sanity and giving it a whirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment