Wednesday, January 19, 2011

365 days

Eli has been around for 365 days. Today is his last day of being less than 1.

January 21, 2010
Freshly hatched. check out the mohawk.




Go back and enjoy this Hartley family classic - Eli's birth story.
Sweet boy, where did our year go?

I couldn't help but continually drift back in my thoughts today to this time last year. January 20th, 2010 - I spent the morning at the gym in the pool (funnily enough the only place I didn't feel like shamu) and then off to Target for (what turned out to be last minute) baby shopping. Our friend, Laura Beirne, came over for dinner from her apartment across the street and we all marveled at Eli's somersaults in my belly.

Earlier in the day, on the way from Target to Subway, for a hearty preggo lunch I had a heart to heart with Eli as I was driving in the car. I told him it would soon be time for him to be born. It could get a little scary as neither of us had done our respective jobs before, but we'd be okay. God would take care of us. And although I had a feeling that Eli would be early, he surprised all of us by starting our labor dance just hours later. I've since heard of other mom's having similar talks and results with their babies. The mama-baby link is amazing well before birth.

I later found out I had been pre-laboring all the previous week and just dismissed it to, "ah, this is why preggers complain that last month of pregnancy". I had been having braxton-hicks and woken nightly with funny contractions that felt nothing like what I expected contractions to feel like. This would happen again the night of the 20th, though it would end with a "pop!" of broken water at 6am the next morning. It would be Eli's last belly sleep. And tonight will be his last sleep before turning 1.

January 20, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment