Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Colvin Family Farm CSA



One of my favorite things about living in Lancaster County was the abundance of farms, markets, and the variety of produce at our finger tips. Just a few miles outside of town, big family farms began to dominate the landscape. It was a beautiful and oh so tasty place to live.

Fast forward to our move to Knoxville, TN. When we first arrived, I was hopeful to find a similar setting what with this being East Tennessee and all. But it took some searching. I found a co-op market, Three Rivers, a local dairy that doesn't use hormones and learned about a grass-fed beef farm outside Knoxville. (It's my dream to one day buy a half-cow with a friend. I would also like to own 5 chickens please Rob Hartley.) And then, I saw a flier for a CSA (community supported agriculture).

After doing a little online searching, we joined the Colvin Family Farm CSA and have been happy members ever since. Every week we get a half-bushel of whatever is ripe from our local farm. We love it and have loved trying new veggies and experimenting with how to cook them (our favorite has been Patty Pan Squash!). Sometimes there is even a loaf of fresh bread or jam in our share. The only downside was when veggies were first coming in I was super early pregnant and on a strict diet of fast food and potatoes. Seriously, nothing green could touch my lips. But since the early days of kale, spinach, and broccoli have passed and I'm farther along, we have a couple veggie side dishes every night. Lately, tomatoes, snap beans, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, potatoes, onions, herbs and more fill our bags.

I'm looking forward to the members' Farm Day where we can all take a trip to the farm to see where our veggies are grown. I think Elijah will love it!


1 comment:

  1. How fun!!! Do share some recipes. I shop at our neighborhood market every week and need more ideas how to use seasonal foods.

    ReplyDelete