Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

Our Valentine's Day didn't go exactly to plan.

It started out wonderfully, though. Rob finally arrived home after being out of town all week. He brought me flowers and chocolates from Kigali's own resident chocolatier. (I've decided that if a career in NGOs or writing doesn't pay the bills, I'm going to become a chocolatier.)

I was feeling pretty poorly from battling the same virus Rob had earlier in the week and exhausted from a language barrier between me and my refrigerator repairman. (It's still broken.)

We both hoped that Saturday we would feel up to going to a Valentine's Day yard sale and dinner and a movie later that evening. Well, Saturday came and went and we barely got out of our PJs. We were both sick and Rob pulled double duty by being sick and also taking care of me. While it wasn't exactly what we had in mind for our holiday. It was still romantic to spend the day lounging around watching movies and eating soup.

We also played a fun game of what did we do on previous Valentine's Days:

1. Rob gave me 2 dozen roses and we went salsa dancing with the Jacksons and Thompsons
2. First married Valentine's Day. Poor and in Graduate school. I think I gave Rob 4 chocolate chip cookies and a card.
3. Graduate school exam followed by dinner at OZ Pizza
4. Sick together in Rwanda

They've all been wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way most of your Valentine's Days didn't go quite as planned, yet you deemed them all "wonderful." That's one of the things that I love about the two of you. You make the best of what you've got and are content. More than content... you are in a state of wonderful bliss.

    ReplyDelete