Monday, May 11, 2009

Tortilla Night

In a far, far away land, where Mexican food does not exist...

sometimes you have to improvise.

My mom sent some fajita seasoning packets through the mail, and Rob and I were all set to enjoy a Mexican night at home, but then, I remember we have no tortillas and no Kroger down the street to provide said tortillas.

What's a girl to do with a tortilla-less Mexican night? I pulled out my 'Cookin' in Kigali' recipe book and got to work making my own flour tortillas.

Flour, margarine, baking soda, salt and water. That's it. mix it all up, knead it, divide it into 12 balls, roll them out as thin as you can and then fry in a dry skillet.








A lot of work! Rob liked them and I thought they were okay, much more chalupa-like than tortilla, in my opinion. Next time I'll have to roll them out thinner. Next time? I think I'll just wait for another Mexican night until we have a grocery store nearby.

1 comment:

  1. looks yummy! I'm glad to hear things are going well. We're hoping to go see a movie at the drive in this weekend, but it definitely won't be the same without you guys.

    ReplyDelete