Sunday, April 4, 2010

Mama's got a Brand New Trick


White Noise...

I thought this trick only worked for older babies or kids. We discovered this by accident. I was doing some pre-Easter cleaning and Eli was not cooperating with my cleaning endeavors. Fed, changed, and sufficiently cuddled, I decided he would not suffer any long-term effects if I laid him in the pack n play while I vacuumed the adjoining room. If I could just get that one room vacuumed, I'd lay my cleaning endeavor aside and love on my baby.

My mom tells this story: Once when I was three or so she was trying to mop the kitchen, and I walked in and wanted her to pick me up and hug me. She was in the middle of the kitchen floor with a sopping wet mop, half the floor clean - half waiting to be done. She asked me to hold on just a second, she'd soon be finished. But as soon as she'd said those words, she felt like God reminded her of how often she'd prayed for babies and how we'd soon outgrow walking with dirty feet across her freshly mopped floor asking to be held. She said she put her mop right down and squeezed me.

I remind myself of this story when Eli's need for mothering comes in direct conflict with my endless to-do list. And this was on my mind when I was trying to get my house in shape for company. I plugged up the vacuum and tried to get just that one room at least vacuumed, then we'd call it a day. After a quick scan across the room, I clicked the vacuum off and glanced at my baby. He was out.

Awesome. Sleeping baby, happy mom. Let's vacuum the next room...and the next... and the next. He slept for 2 hours, which for him, was amazing!

Since this, I have discovered not only the vacuum works, but water running in the kitchen sink, the dishwasher, the box fan (on setting 3), and water running in the shower. This boy is now actually taking naps. I'm starting to realize what a fussy sleepy baby looks like and I take him right in to his crib or pack n play, turn on the box fan and watch him go out like a light. He's a better rested, happier baby since we learned the white noise trick. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. dude, white noise machine is our #1 baby gear. even if you hold a blowdryer up to a tape recorder and then play that back, ANY kind of white noise makes for a solid sleeping baby in my experience. yay for vaccuuming and happy babes! and he looks a llllllllllllot like rob here

    ReplyDelete