Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Proper Motivation

Elijah has ALWAYS hated tummy time. I know it's good for him and helps him develop muscles, but he hated it and after a few pathetic waa's I'd roll him over on his back and promise to try again another day.
We recently visited our new pediatrician. He gave Eli a mini baby physical and noted that his upper body strength was still developing. "That's okay," he said, "I wouldn't expect to see more until 4 months and besides he may be a little bottom heavy."

Bottom heavy? Oh no, doc. Wait till you see us next month, we'll have upper body strength out the wazoo. I decided then and there, we were going to stick to tummy time. No pathetic waa's were going to deter me.

The next day we began. About a minute in, Elijah cried and quickly face planted into the mat. No more tummy time. His upper body would just have to develop another way.

I told my mom about this while we were visiting in Knoxville. She suggested letting him watch cartoons on a boppy.

Ahhhh! The little stinker just needed the right motivation. He's been a happy tummy-timer ever since.

1 comment:

  1. what a precious picture of the little man. we were woefully "behind" on the tummy time and upper body strength too because judah hated it and i didnt have the heart. yay for baby workout

    ReplyDelete