Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New Home To-Do List

We're moving into a great house on Friday. We are so excited. We are going to do some serious celebrating Friday, too. 1. because it's Eli's birthday and 2. because it's going to be our new home's birthday. Woohoo! Everybody we've worked with in the home buying process has been awesome; from Realtor to mortgage broker and home insurer to home inspector. Whew, it's been a process and I'm glad we're almost to moving day.

We've been to the house many times since that initial viewing to closing, and along the way I've made a little (crazy big) to - do list. The home is new, so there is very little cost to us in the way of maintenance. But we do have a ways to go in making it feel homey and function for our family.

I thought I'd blog this in case my scribbled on paper get's lost in the move.

So here's the list, broken down into 3 categories:

Make it Functional
1. Buy a diaper sprayer (aka baby bidet)- Rob conceded this to me after I wanted to get in a bidding war for one in a previous contract on a house
2. Energy efficient bulbs
3. Hand held shower sprayer - won't this be great for hosing off babies!
4. baby-proof supplies and anti tip bracket installed on oven- the whole 9 yards
5. mop & broom holder
6. clothes line - we've had one everywhere we've lived except Lancaster
7. window coverings - either wooden blinds or curtains, not sure yet.
8. Laundry room floor epoxy or concrete stain
9. carbon detector
10. laundry room shelving
11. New mailbox
12. city trashcan - not sure if we buy it or if it's provided
13. 2 outdoor mats
14. 2 bathroom shower curtain rods and shower curtains
15. extra storage cabinet in bathroom
16. covered parking?
17. fence
18. lawn mower - I REALLY want a non-gasoline push one

Make it Homey
1. new front door (or paint existing one)
2. Kitchen Island shelving?
3. house plants!
4. candles for bath
5. hanging pot rack?
6. new lighting fixtures
7. Rug for Eli's room
8. Paint tree in Eli's room - also inspired by a previous house find. I really want to do a weeping willow

9. Paint Livingroom and 2 upstairs bedrooms
10. Reupholster Ansley's beloved office chairs
11. Frame bathroom window mirror
12. Decorative bathroom window

Outdoor Living
1. Porch furniture
2. Porch curtains
3. Porch plants
4. front yard - remove bushes, add flowers and birdbath
5. window boxes!
6. Deck furniture
7. Deck Pergola with hanging ivy and lights!!! (I'm trying to talk Rob into this for my birthday gift!)
8. Patio concrete stain
9. Patio furniture
10. hammock on patio
11. herb garden
12. veggie garden/ and trellis
13. Stain the deck

It's going to be hard work sticking to a budget! Perhaps, I'll start a recurring monthly hundred dollar home makeover blog post.

2 comments:

  1. 1. i adore all the sporadic exclamation marks (!)
    2. just reading this makes me YEARn for a new house to start over in. my productive groove starts firing on your behalf.
    3. cant WAIT to see the hartley-fied results!
    4. more eli!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a diaper sprayer attached to our toilet and (for me) it is quite hard to control with newborn baby poop. I try (very hard) to spray it down into the toilet and instead get it all over the seat and on the shower curtain next to the toilet. I wish you good luck with yours. I hope you have more luck than I've had and I think it will work better with non-newborn poop.

    ReplyDelete