Wednesday, November 16, 2011

More Reviews - Our Home Progress

I had NO idea how much different it would be to own a home rather than rent an apartment. This experience has been far different from our home ownership days in East Point. And, if it weren't for the cost savings one would eventually reap coupled with not having to live below noisy drug-dealer punk college students, I would want to always rent. With that said, I love our home and I never want to move. I've enjoyed piecing it together - though most often my attention span is far from long enough to reach my end goals. And, our young family and busy lives have made finding the time to do much of our home-making-ness difficult. Yet, slowly slowly we are gaining experience in the how-to department and carving out our little haven.

To keep it neat and tidy, I've deleted items we've changed our minds about and items that we'd already accomplished as of the last publishing.

Make it Functional

1. Buy a diaper sprayer (aka baby bidet)- Rob conceded this to me after I wanted to get in a bidding war for one in a previous contract on a house
- yet to get, though a friend offered her's made from materials from Lowe's
2. Hand held shower sprayer - won't this be great for hosing off babies! - accomplished! and it is everything I thought it would be for giving babies baths - though next time I'll probably upgrade to get a longer hose.
3. baby-proof supplies and anti tip bracket installed on oven- the whole 9 yards
- no further progress.
4. mop & broom holder - done!
and even better than our first idea as it is out of the way of "helping" baby hands.
5. window coverings - either wooden blinds or curtains, not sure yet. Finished! Yes! Perhaps my biggest accomplishment. If we ever do move I told Rob he is taking down every single rod and curtain and we're taking them with us. I never want to dress another window again.
6. Laundry room floor epoxy or concrete stain - not yet. But the basement is organized and fairly neat. It also hold my favorite place of our house, my laundry area. This is MY space and mine alone. It's organized just how I want it and is compact and convenient to use. I love doing laundry now!
7. 2 outdoor mats - done
8. 2 bathroom shower curtain rods and shower curtains - done

9. fence - I think we're going to have Rob install one. That is after we save up for it and find the time to install it. It would really be great to have especially with new baby around.

Make it Homey

1. new front door (or paint existing one)
- we added a screen door instead. Ahh, southern perfection. We also put screens on the deck french doors, adding to our cheap summer air conditioning alternative - open windows.
2. Kitchen Island shelving? - Bar stools!
3. house plants!
- Slowly I'm collecting potted plants for indoors and out. I'm happy enought with my progress to call this done.
4. new lighting fixtures - no longer needed. I have no idea why I once hated our lighting fixtures so much. I think coupled with the bare house they felt cold and standard, but now with our things in place around them, they go great!
5. Rug for Eli's room - Christmas present!
6. Paint tree in Eli's room - also inspired by a previous house find. I really want to do a weeping willow
- Instead I used old art work I drew as a child and cheaply framed it with a 70% sale at Michael's. It turned out way cool (at least I think so)
7. Paint Livingroom and 2 upstairs bedrooms - No, but I would still like (Rob) to. I claim paint allergy.
8. Reupholster Ansley's beloved office chairs
- just need to find some cool fabric and the nerve. I found a cool little fabric store that sales re-upholstery fabric cheap!
9. Frame bathroom window mirror
- still a cool idea, not there yet though


Outdoor Living
1. Porch furniture - I did return the 2 I bought, but we just choose another color. I think the front porch is shaping up nicely.
2. Porch curtains - eh, I'm rethinking porch curtains.
3. Porch plants - Just waiting until spring when I Southern-ify my front porch with big beautiful ferns.
4. front yard - remove bushes, add flowers and birdbath - we're getting there. The huge bushes have been trimmed, I'm still waiting on a cheap bird bath.
5. window boxes! - next spring....
6. Deck furniture - we're saving up and will buy it when it goes on clearance of clearance in November.
7. Deck Pergola with hanging ivy and lights!!! (I'm trying to talk Rob into this for my birthday gift!) - back to square one!
8. Patio concrete stain - Too late this year, but we may get some on clearance and tackle that job next spring.
9. Patio furniture -we're still saving and may buy some off craigslist next spring.
10. hammock on patio - Rob's looking into getting the bolts to put this in for next spring.
11. herb garden - May do pots instead of a garden next spring to keep it simple with Little Girl here.
12. veggie garden/ and trellis - We're going to at least do fruit trees.
13. Stain the deck - Done by handsome huz! Hurray!


Ahhh, this list no longer stresses me out like it once did. It seems way more manageable! The outside stuff is still a lot, but I'm really proud of how we've slowly chipped away at it and all that we've accomplished! Hope you're enjoying "This New House"

No comments:

Post a Comment