Thursday, September 3, 2009

Our Turnip

Today marks our 17th week of pregnancy. The baby weighs about as much as a Turnip; I've been very excited as we've moved out of the bean and seed size comparisons and into the fruits like apples and avocados, but I must admit that the 40 week pumpkin comparison we're looking forward to is more than just a little frightening.

17 weeks feels much better than 13 weeks. I'm no longer dealing with morning sickness, I can drink and eat more, and although my energy hasn't completely returned due to the whole new life being created inside me, I do have much more energy than in the first trimester.

We find out the sex of the baby in about 4 weeks and I can't wait. It took awhile for Rob to bring me over to his side on that decision. But now I can't imagine not finding out. I'm terribly excited. It will be another way of making this process seem so much more real! I also think I felt the baby move a few nights ago, it's still early for that, but I can't wait for more regular movements.

Aside from morning sickness, we've had a pretty smooth ride so far. I had trouble staying hydrated early on and about the only thing that I could get down was my preggo-margarita creation : a little bit of water, a lot a bit of lemon juice topped with a lot of salt. I carried that little tonic with me everywhere I went. I've only gained about 1.5 pounds so far which is on the low side so I've been encouraged to eat more. Milkshakes here I come.

Physically, I don't feel much different except I brush my baby bump often when I'm closing the fridge or car door. Not used to that quite yet. And I feel like an old lady sometimes with back pain. Not from baby weight gain but from whatever internal adjustments are going on. My sciatica hurts...and I'm only a little embarrassed by that.

Pregnancy hormones are shifting into high gear though, I've started to have really vivid dreams, difficulty deciding what shampoo to buy, and there is that one episode of a little bit of a boo hoo break down in the dentist chair a few days ago. Ohh, my. And I don't mean a tear in the eye...I boo hoo-ed. I've heard that all women who experience childbirth lose their sense of modesty. But, I'm also guessing that it becomes difficult for them to be embarrassed because of random crying sessions and babies pooping on them. Oh motherhood, I am excited.

Next week we're flying down to Atlanta and driving down to Farm Day. As excited as I am to see everyone and everything we can while we're "home", I must admit that most of my thoughts drift toward getting this southern baby some real food. I have been craving fried catfish and spicy chicken biscuits like never before. I absolutely can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited that we have a turnip and can't wait for the pumpkin!!! And I, too, can't wait to know the gender of your turnip.

    Much love,
    Fran

    ReplyDelete